I’m Bob Berry, and I’m the creator of the Human-Computer MasterMind Academy, and the Human-Computer MasterMind System. I’m an e-learning and user experience author, consultant, developer, and teacher.
I can show you how to make your human-computer interactions visible, and apply a brilliant, insightful, and proven art and science to take all you do online to the next level.
I have perfected and I can guide you to master the Craft of getting inside the hearts, minds, lives, professions, behaviors, and passions of your target audience, while they interact with the online experience you offer them.
I’m available for usability testing, user experience and customer experience research, e-learning development, and any related needs. I’ve managed large scale projects in these disciplines, led extensive corporate teams, and conducted small focused programs for startups, non-profits, and small business. I can guide you and your team to uncover critical insights in any aspect of your user-facing human-computer interfaces.
Click to Contact me – or:
- Skype: bob.berry32
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bobberrycoppercreek
- Twitter: _bobberry
- Office: 719.471.4285
- Email: bob@ItsTheUsers.com
- Download my Resume
I am a usability and customer experience consultant with 25 years’ experience in corporate and small business interactive systems and solutions, strategy development, and market research, and 20 years of experience leading teams and departments doing all types of in-lab and remote usability testing for Fortune 500 companies around the globe.
My passion for the interactive experience, customers, working directly with all kinds of users, and uncovering the key insights that increase user delight – and lead to higher conversions and more revenue – drives the many innovations and solutions I’ve proposed and implemented for clients, systems, and interfaces of all sizes and complexity. I have conducted hundreds of active user testing sessions in the last few years, for online marketing services, e-commerce sites, email initiatives, call center systems, e-learning programs, promotional web sites, and much more.
I’ve directly designed, managed, executed, and applied research programs using a variety of methods, direct and indirect, primary and secondary, quantitative and qualitative, including in-lab and remote usability testing, user experience analytics, competitive analysis, surveys, direct customer visits, focus groups, remote interviews, business data mining, and market scanning.
One highlight: a few years ago, I conducted a multi-channel (web, email, call center, print, catalog, sales team) user experience initiative for Deluxe Corp. That research program optimized the customer experience across a vast number of touchpoints, and drove $3.2M in top-line revenue.
Major Usability and User Experience Roles and Results
2017 – Present: Senior User Experience Researcher, AnswerLab – San Francisco / New York – Conduct UX research and guide interactive designs for top tech, pharma, transportation, and financial companies in the word.
- Apple, Google, Facebook, Ford, FedEx, Cisco, and many more
- Contextual observation / interviews, Ethnography, Diary studies, Innovation labs
- User-centered design workshops, Stakeholder interviews, Focus groups
- Usability testing, Agile / lean user testing, Iterative testing, Card sorting, Tree-jacking
- A/B testing, Cognitive walk-through, Expert evaluation / heuristic review
2015 – Present: Founder and CEO of ItsTheUsers.com, professional development systems to teach “Mastery of Human-Computer Interactions for Online and Business Success.”
- Design innovative usability research processes, systems, tools, and approaches
- Evaluate new usability and user experience software and vendors and report findings
- Create interactive user experience learning and training courses
- Market usability learning to Fortune 500 companies (and more) worldwide
- Teach live sessions to user experience professionals
2012 – 2015: Senior Usability Consultant / Analyst at Usability Sciences Corp., Irving, TX – Lead extensive user research projects, analysis, recommendations, and consulting.
- Assess client needs, objectives, and recommend usability research methods
- Conduct in-depth user research sessions, in-lab, remotely, and at client sites
- Conduct ‘in-the-wild’ user research in homes, offices, commercial locations, industrial settings, etc.
- Manage all user experience projects, including all client interactions, meetings, and communications
- Report specific findings to the client with substantial data, evidence, examples via text, reports, images, video, audio, and other multimedia
- Present in-depth recommendations on user experience design, changes, updates, solutions
- Follow-up to ensure effective implementation and follow-through on recommendations, and conduct follow-up testing
2011 – Present: Director of User Experience Research, Usability, Small Business Consulting, e-Learning, Content Modeling & Development, Copper Creek Consulting, Colorado Springs
- Conduct user research projects with small business, non-profit, and government clients
- Direct Voice-of-the-customer research to capture all ‘real-world’ touchpoints
- Implement internal processes for clients to ensure proper implementation of findings
- Conduct user testing of various mobile devices, apps, and interfaces
- Conduct research adjacent to usability for various clients, including focus groups, surveys, web analytics, customer interviews, and VOC research
- Maintain, refine, and apply various sets of user experience heuristics for different client types and industries
2010 to 2011 – Director of Small Business Product and User Experience Research at Deluxe Corp. Conducted user experience research with hundreds of small businesses nationwide
- Direct massive integration of 12 different interfaces from acquisition of 12 small companies
- Conduct remote user testing with hundreds of small business operations U.S.-wide
- Lead rapid-iterative testing with Deluxe designers and developers
- Recommend user experience, business integration, market segmentation, and strategic directions based on findings
- Research and suggest new interface design tools and user experience research tools
- Manage budgets, teams, projects, and overall user experience initiatives
2008 to 2010 – Senior Marketing Director / Director Customer Experience Research – at Deluxe Corp. Conducted extensive consumer and small business user experience research
- Lead extensive end-end Voice of The Customer research initiatives over 4 years
- Integrate research across web, intranet, customer-facing email, call centers, sales, and print/mail/catalog programs
- Recommend and lead implementation of user/customer interaction improvements
- Recruit and vet user experience research vendors and partners, and lead their efforts once hired
- Directly generate increase of $3.2M top-line revenue based on outcomes of Voice of The Customer findings, recommendations, and implementation
- Installed a corporate culture of user-focus and customer attention where none existed before, up to the Board Room
User Experience and e-Learning Portfolio and Examples
Lead Consultant and User Experience Specialist
- Usability Sciences Corporation: http://usabilitysciences.com/
- Conduct in-depth user experience research and interactive learning evaluations in the lab and in the field
- Clients: Novartis, Allstate, M&T Bank, First Data, Citibank, many more
- Lead all aspects of client management, planning, user profiling, recruiting, prototyping, user session management and facilitation, analysis, reporting, recommendations, etc.
Usability and User Experience Professional Development Venture: ItsTheUsers.com
- Launched company in 2015, targeted at user experience professionals worldwide
- The extensive learning, processes, tools, and resources in this professional education program reveal the path to mastering and applying the art and science of human-computer interactions for the benefit of any online business, goals, and the users involved. It is all specifically designed to help online professionals significantly improve online business results and user engagement.
New Learning Experience Venture and Digital Products System for Mental Health Professionals: ‘Freaked Out’
- Introduces and teaches professionals and non-professionals about ‘Developmental Trauma’
- First series of courses in an extensive series under development
- Mobile-friendly, Adobe Presenter, video, audio, interactive self-assessments, with extensive online marketing system
- Proving to be an important game-changer in the mental health field
Lead Facilitator, Technical Administrator, User Experience Consultant: Enspire Learning
- Business Simulation Learning System and Executive Leadership events delivered worldwide
- Lead intensive business and leadership development programs for Fortune 100 executives
- Consult and advise on user experience, design, content, instructional approach, facilitation
- Clients: Microsoft, Eli Lilly, Paypal/eBay, Medtronic, Fedex, Bacardi, Novellis, many more
LearningConnect ‘Executive Personal Development Experience’ for Fortune 100 Executives
- Propriety interactive personalized professional develop platform for hosting c-level blended year-long leadership development events
- Mobile-based, app-centric, client-customized, user-personalized
- Designed entire user experience, launch, manage, and deliver on-site delivery worldwide
- Clients: Arrow Electronics, Canon, Ernst & Young, ConAgra Foods, Korn Ferry Int’l, others
- Demo available upon request (proprietary system)
Online Executive/Management Training Experience, Bruce Power, Ontario, Canada
- Designed interface, managed project, led launch and user experience deployment
- Introduces management candidates to leadership, managing people, problem solving
Learning Experience Venture: LifeSkillPrograms.com
- Launched company in 2003, won $250,000 in venture funding, 90% owner and founder
- ‘Inspire, Motivate, and Empower’ young people to succeed and excel in the real world
- Designed propriety user model, business model, technology platforms, user interactions
- Designed/built 300 hours of interactive life success learning courses, assessments, portfolios
- 37,000 users, 50 states: colleges, school districts, youth centers, courts, families, faith-based
E-Learning and User Experience Director for Hewlett-Packard in the early days of the Web
- Designed, launched, and managed HP’s first global online engineering/scientific programs in the early days of the web (HP spun off Agilent, then Keysight since those early days)
- Created social media, e-learning, cloud-based programs, interactive media in the mid-90’s!
- Ran worldwide online community of engineering students and professors with a content exchange, interactive media experiments, educational forums, mentoring, much more
- Site and program still thrive with a global audience almost 20 years later: http://www.keysight.com/find/edu
Overview: E-Learning Developer, Inventor, Researcher, Consultant, Business Owner/Founder
- Designing and launching new digital platforms, learning methodologies, user experience models, and content systems
- Designing, developing, and managing proprietary content- and learning-based marketing, promotion, and sales systems
- Launching/managing innovative user experience ventures, businesses, business models
- Design, founded, launched 3 online/interactive start-ups since 2001, consulted on 5 others
- User experience testing, use model development, usability testing, competitive analysis
- Market research, business dev, e-commerce, strategy consulting for online business
- Interactive product research including product definition, customer needs, and lifecycle
- Research project management, vendor relationships, and team leadership
- E-Market development, product marketing, and general market development for online
- Extensive inside and outside sales process research and development
- Large web system analytics, process engineering, and change management
- Content metrics, analytics, development, and content management
- General business analysis, business management, and operations
- Instructional design, educational theory, and e-learning research and development
- Interactive personal and human development systems, design, methods, and deployment
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Science and Applied Mathematics – University of Nebraska 1985
Highlights of my user experience and e-learning adventures include:
- In the early days of the Web, directed the design, launch, and management of Hewlett-Packard’s international online educational initiatives with engineering colleges and universities around the world.
- Led the teams that launched HP’s first e-commerce systems and online ordering – the first online ordering ever launched worldwide.
- Founded four interactive companies since 1998 focused on user experience and e-learning, with clients and online users in all 50 states.
- Won $150,000 in venture funding in 2005 for online educational startups and user experience technology.
- Led the user testing, research, and development of an extensive set of interactive financial education programs for the largest financial documents company in the U.S., focused on consumers and youth.
- Demonstrate understanding of all aspects of business success for interactive companies, including business strategy, business models, channel development, use models, information design, research, content development and management, and more.
- Bring extensive awareness, understanding, and working knowledge of major leading-edge interactive and user experience models, systems, methodologies, and technologies.
Key Services, Capabilities, and Experience:
Ethnographies and persona development
Eye Tracking, Click Tracking, Heat Maps
Five Second Test
Full Service Usability Consulting
General Market Research
In person focus groups
In-Lab and Remote User Testing
Information Design and Architecture
Knowledge extraction, modeling, architecture
Online focus groups
Original content authoring and rendering
Other affinity-type sorting methods
Qualitative 1:1 studies
Rapid Usability testing
Remote qualitative 1:1 studies
RITE Testing and processes
Site development and prototype hosting
Usability Competitive Analysis
Usability Heuristics Analysis
Usability Project Management
Usability ROI Analysis
User Profiling and extensive recruiting via internal and purchased lists
Web Site Surveys
Wireframe Development and Early Testing